Improve Your Oral Hygiene!

Gum health

Do you ever wonder what you could be doing better to promote your oral hygiene? Sure, you have 1-2 dental visits per year, but what could you be doing in the mean time to take care of your teeth? Here are just a few key facts to keep in mind when it comes to oral health:

1. Gum Disease is Prevalent – Did you know that 75% of the U.S. population suffers from gum disease? The early stage of gum disease is commonly referred to as gingivitis. You can avoid gum disease by: brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing to get rid of any plaque. There are also oral medications for gum disease that your dentist may be able to provide. There are also oral hygiene products on shelves in your local supermarket that are specifically aimed at reducing your risk of gingivitis.

2. Flossing is Key – This may come as a surprise to some, but brushing your teeth only cleans about 70% of your teeth, and you need to floss in order to take care of the other 30%. Flossing may seem like a hassle to some, but the results are worth the couple of minutes that it takes you each day. Ask your dentist if you have never been taught the proper way to floss. There are various forms of floss products available today to make flossing easier on you. Floss picks are one of these products.

3. Avoid Teeth Grinding – Many Americans do not fully grasp the severity of grinding your teeth at night. A professor at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, believes that grinding your teeth during sleep is equal to putting 300 lbs. of force on your teeth. As you can probably imagine – that is not healthy and over time can cause drastic consequences. It is estimated that 80% of all headaches occur from muscle tension which can be a result of dental stress and tooth grinding. If you or your someone in your family grinds their teeth during sleep, contact a dental professional immediately.

Oral hygiene is extremely important, and without proper upkeep can cost thousands of dollars to repair. The next time you see new dental hygiene products on the aisles of your grocery store take a minute to think about how they could help you promote your oral health. Remember that gum disease is prevalent, flossing is key, and you should avoid teeth grinding at all costs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *